I love this delicious dessert and most of the time my Chinese meal isn’t complete if I don’t order this at the end. In Nairobi, my friends Jitesh and Aarty’s restaurant, Taste of China, does fabulous date pancakes worth trying out. Seriously!
I tried these out at home. While they didn’t turn out nasty I know I couldn’t compare them to the ones I’ve had at Taste of China.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 150 grams De-seeded Dates
- 300 grams Plain flour
- 100 grams Unsalted butter
- Oil To fry
- Water for kneading
- Knead the dough using melted butter & water. Shape into a ball and store in refrigerator.
- Mince the dates and cook them in unsalted butter.
- Spread it on tray and allow to cool.
- Portion the dough into two, roll thinly into individual rectangles.
- Spread the date mixture in between and seal the edges with little moisture.
- Cut into neat triangles with help of a pastry cutter, and put back for some time in refrigerator.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil, and cut into four pieces, sprinkle some icing sugar and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.