Toffee Apples are so yummy. Well I think so anyway… Try this easy-peasy recipe and enjoy the toffee apples.
You will need….
- 15 small Red Delicious apples washed, dried
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (available at Nakumatt, Uchumi etc)
- 2 teaspoons red liquid food colouring
- 15 wooden chopsticks
- Push a stick into each apple. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place sugar and water into a heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Stop stirring. Bring to the boil. Using a wet pastry brush, brush away sugar crystals on sides of saucepan above syrup. Stir in cream of tartar and food colouring.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer toffee for 20 minutes or until it reaches hard crack stage. To check if it has reached this stage, add 1 teaspoon of toffee to a glass of ice-cold water. Remove solidified toffee from water and bend it. The toffee should crack easily and not feel sticky. Once toffee is at this stage, remove from heat immediately.
- Wait until toffee stops bubbling then dip 1 apple into toffee. Tip pan on an angle to coat apple in toffee, especially around stick. Place onto prepared baking tray. Repeat with remaining apples. Allow to set at room temperature.